Ball games are a kind of sports, most often team games. The purpose of these games is to score the ball into the opponent’s goal, basket, hit, hit or throw the ball so that the opponent cannot catch it.
Sports games with a ball
- Games in which the goal is to score a goal. Such games include all types of football, field hockey, bandy, water polo, basketball, handball, regular polo and pushball.
- Games in which the ball must be thrown over the net, such as volleyball, table tennis and regular tennis.
- Games where they hit the ball with a bat. The goal is to hit the ball as far as possible so that the batter can run to the goal. These are cricket, rounders and baseball.
- Games in which you need to hit a target with a ball, such as bowling and golf.
- Sports ball games with positioning accuracy. It’s bocce, petanque, bowls.
- Games are just for fun. These include the well-known Burmese game chinlon and the Japanese kemari, where you have to keep the ball in the air as long as possible, constantly kicking it with your foot.
History of ball games
The history of this type of games goes back many centuries. Even in ancient Egypt, there were drawings on the monuments, which depict people playing with a round object. Among the Romans, ball sports were even more common, played by both old and young inhabitants of Ancient Rome. In the Middle Ages, the tradition of playing with the ball did not lose its relevance. Separate premises were allocated for such games, and even leaders who received a salary were appointed. Gradually, the games improved, in our time there are several dozens of them.
Types of sports balls
- Soccer ball. There are several sizes of this type of ball. There are soccer balls for advertising, a children’s ball from 4 to 7 years old, a training ball for children from the age of 8, then from 12 years old, and a standard ball for children over 12 years old and adults.
- Basketball. Also comes in different sizes. By the way, the largest size with a circumference of 749-780 mm for the competition of men’s basketball teams is considered one of the largest balls in sports. There are also smaller balls for women, children and juniors.
- The fitness ball or fitball is perhaps the largest of all sports balls.
- Handball. Has three sizes. The first, the smallest, is designed for boys from 8 to 12 years old and girls from 8 to 14 years old. Second size for girls over 14 years old and boys 12-16 years old. And the third size, a ball with a circumference of 58-59 cm, for adults and boys over 16 years old.
- Ball for water polo. Made of synthetics, rubber, it comes in two sizes – for women’s and men’s teams.
- Rugby ball. It is elliptical in shape. Made from synthetic or leather. The circumference in length is from 74 cm to 77 cm.
- American football ball. The circumference in length is slightly less than in a rugby ball, and is 72.4 cm.
- Tennis ball. It can be made from different materials. The addition of rubber affects the bounce of the ball, stiffer models increase the speed of the ball.
- Ping pong ball. It is the smallest of all sports balls. Its diameter is 40-40.5 mm, and its weight is only 2.7 g.